In summer the weather is often a good reason to go outside and be active. The colder weather of autumn can create some resistance. Don’t let your built up fitness level weaken because of the weather. But how do you stay motivated to also be active in the autumn?
Reasons to keep on moving in autumn
To keep on being motivated, you primarily need several good reasons why you need to stay active. Here are three of these reasons:
- Exercising is healthy and makes you happier. Almost everyone suffers from the autumn blues. You feel tired, less motivated to do things and you can even get so gloomy you can speak of a seasonal depression. To prevent is better than to cure: keep on exercising (preferably outside) to get your health and happiness to a higher level and to fight the autumn blues.
- Nature has a calming effect on the human body and brains. Especially in autumn, when there is a beautiful variety of colours to see.
- You can enjoy the autumn- and winter dishes even more. Doesn’t food taste better when you start your meal exhausted and hungry?
How do you deal with exercising outside in autumn?
There are several outdoor sports that you can keep on doing in autumn, for example running and bootcamping. What is important, is that you take the right precautions, like the proper clothings and a good warming up! Sudden rain and strong winds can make you cool down really fast, so wear a water- and windproof jacket. You kill two birds with one stone if this jacket also has a bright color or reflecting elements, so you can move safely around the dark autumn evenings. In cold weather it is also important to warm up properly, your muscles are more prone to injuries when cold. With a good warming up and warm clothes, you can easily prevent this.
Rather not go outside?
>Are you less fond of the autumn weather or are you truly always cold? Then the tips below might be something for you!
- Bikram yoga: also known as yoga in the heat, in a room of 40 degrees celsius. The high temperature is good for the heart, skin, fat burn, and against the cold of the autumn.
- Bouldering: bouldering is climbing in a hall until a maximum of 4 meters, which makes you do not need a climbing harness. De routes are distinctive in color and difficulty level, so you can keep on challenging yourself!
- Create your own home-gym. A sports mat and some weights goes a long way! There are loads of Youtube channels with exercises to do at home. One of my favourites is the channel XHIT, where you can choose your own instructor, muscle group, intensity and the duration of the workout. In this way, your workouts are personalized and never boring.
- Doing chores around the house or walking the stairs can already contribute significantly to the amount of exercise you get during a day. Take up on some extra chores and walk the stairs instead of taking the elevator to stay fit year-round.
Which colour of autumn matches your spirit?
Plan exercising as an activity in your Daily Planner in NiceDay. By registering your feelings, you can compare how you feel before and after exercising. Planning your activities also creates extra motivation and commitment to actually go!