Did you know that eating and drinking can help support your mental health? A lot of research has been done about the relationship between nutrition and psychological symptoms. Recent research has stated that, in addition to physical well-being, healthy food can help improve your mental health and reduce depressive feelings.
No supplements needed
The good news is that you do not have to take special supplements or expensive pills for this. Research shows that dietary supplements and loose nutrients do not reduce the chance of getting a depression. There is no miracle food or miracle drink that can prevent depression. The most important thing is that you have a healthy and balanced diet.
Tips for a healthy diet
You can improve your mental health through healthier and balanced dietary choices. How? These tips will help you to take your first steps:
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, fish, and legumes (such as peas, beans, and lentils). They are important components for a healthy and balanced diet.
- Make healthier choices and choose whole-grain foods and vegetable oils more often. Whole-grain products provide fibers, which ensure that you feel full and energized throughout the day. Choose whole-grain bread instead of white bread and whole grain pasta and brown rice instead of white pasta and rice.
- Enjoy in moderation! Foods such as nuts, dairy products and alcohol can be part of a healthy and balanced diet, if you eat them in the right amounts. For example, nuts contain a lot of good nutrients, as well as a lot of fat. And the less alcohol you drink, the better it is for your health.. In short, it is all about the right balance!
- Eat less red meat and avoid processed meats (salami, bacon, pastrami and sausages). Less red meat consumption is an important part of a healthy and balanced diet that can improve mental health. You also reduce the risk of various diseases.
- Make small healthy steps every day by focusing on the positive. For example, add more fruits and vegetables to your diet instead of limiting yourself.
Keep a food diary in the NiceDay app where you describe your food and mood. This way you gain insight into how your diet can influence your mood.
And remember: were you not able to maintain a healthy diet today? No problem, just try again tomorrow!