You may feel that you are working too much, relaxing too little, feeling a lot of work pressure or taking on too much responsibility. You might also have difficulty with your work environment or with your colleagues. It may be that your work-life balance is off. This is stressful, has a negative impact on your daily life and can even lead to burnout.
By actively working on a healthy work-life balance, you will gradually start to feel better and experience more control over your daily life. We are happy to help you with the action plan below. The action plan contains information and various exercises that you can perform throughout your daily life with the help of the NiceDay-app over the next 4 weeks, to gradually help you find more balance and start working in a healthy way. You can do this independently, but with the support of the NiceDay app. Download the app here if you don’t have it on your phone yet and start right away!
Are you experiencing a lot of problems at work and is that impacting or limiting your daily functioning? In that case, it might be good to schedule an appointment with your GP for a referral to a psychologist. Click here for more information about treatment via NiceDay, or ask a NiceDay psychologist a question for free.
- Set a goal: Setting goals gives your growth process a focus and will help to keep you motivated. Read the information about setting goals in this article and write down your goals in the NiceDay Diary. Tip: Set your goal as a reminder in NiceDay so that you are reminded of your goal on a daily basis.
- Understanding stress: Knowing what stress is, what causes stress and what the consequences of stress are can help you to understand how to cope with work stress and to be aware of when you are experiencing it. Read these articles on stress and write down the things you learnt and identify with in your NiceDay diary. Ask yourself: how do you feel when you are stressed? What is your response to stress? How do you normally deal with stress? Tip: Read these tips against work stress.
- Lifestyle: If you want to create a healthy work-life balance, it is essential to understand what a healthy lifestyle consists of. Read about a healthy lifestyle and the benefits of exercise and walking. Then, schedule some time with your NiceDay app to do some exercise or a sports activity that you enjoy this week. You can activate the pedometer to track your progress.
- Lifestyle: Reflect on the week that has just passed. Have you noticed anything about yourself after learning about stress and a healthy lifestyle? Did you notice the effect of exercise? Read about creating healthy habits at work. Are there any improvements you can make? Try to adopt at least one other healthy habit this week. Schedule this habit with your Planner to remind yourself.
- Breaks: Taking regular breaks from work during and after work is not only vital for your well-being, it can also help you to focus in the long run. Read about taking breaks and schedule at least two short breaks during each workday in addition to your lunch breack in your NiceDay planner.
- Workplace: Being aware of our expectations, wishes and areas for improvement in our workplace is an important first step towards making effective changes to improve our work-life balance. Perform this exercise regarding your own workplace and schedule the first step to making these changes at your workplace with the NiceDay app.
- Reflect: Reflect on the week that has just passed. Have you changed anything about your workplace or talked to someone about doing so? How do you feel about your workplace now? Did taking breaks during your workday help create balance? Continue to schedule breaks during your workday. This week, after performing a stressful or difficult task, take another 10 minutes to rest before returning to work.
- Job crafting: In order to feel good at work, it is important that your work environment and tasks match your preferences and skills. This will result in more satisfaction and pleasure at work. Therefore, It is helpful to investigate to what extent your work provides you with this. You can do that with the following exercises.
- Boundaries: Knowing and being aware of your limits and boundaries at work and in life is crucial. Boundaries help you and others respect your needs, limits, and goals. If your boundaries are unclear or weak, they can lead to conflict and stress. Read about setting boundaries at work and write down relevant boundaries in your NiceDay diary. Schedule some time to practise communicating your boundaries with a friend, relative or even with yourself in the mirror.
- Relaxation and mindfulness: Taking time to relax and recharge is important for your well-being. It ensures that your body can recover well from stress and exertion. By regularly practicing relaxing, you can achieve the best results. Read about Mindfulness, how it works and relaxation exercises and choose the exercise from the library that works best for you to practice with this week. Schedule a short period of time each day with the NiceDay app to practice in a safe environment.
- Reflect: Reflect on the week that has just passed. What job crafting strategies have you applied? What effect did they have? Is there still room for improvement? Write this down in your NiceDay journal. Also, think about the boundaries you practiced with this week; will there a good moment this week to set your limits at work? Schedule this with your NiceDay planner.
- Assertiveness: Assertiveness is a crucial communication skill, especially at work. Assertiveness can help you set clear boundaries and collaborate effectively with your teammates. Read about assertiveness and perform the exercise in this blog. Tip: You can read about more skills that are useful in the workplace in this article.
- Time management: Time management is the process of planning and being aware of the time you spend on certain activities. It can help you to be more organized, productive, and find a better balance between work and life, increasing your sense of control. Read our tips for time management and complete this exercise.
- Share: Talking about your feelings with someone else can be a huge relief. By talking about your experience, you will receive more support and understanding from others. You don’t have to do it alone! Learn more about talking about your feelings and talking about mental health at work and schedule some time in the NiceDay app to talk to someone you trust.
- Reflecting: Reflecting can provide you with insight into your growth process and your progress. Look back on what you’ve done in the past few weeks. What went well? What are you proud of? What can you improve? Do you notice patterns? Write down your insights in a journal entry in the NiceDay app. Write down the things that have helped you in the past few weeks (such as a skill or a colleague) and the things you would like to improve.
- Make plans for the future: Finding a good work-life balance is also a matter of practice and time management. It’s a skill you can improve on. Now that you’ve started improving your work-life balance, it’s important to keep planning ahead for next week. Write out a short plan for next week using the NiceDay app.
- Balancing your needs: The perfect balance for you is based on your needs. These differ per person, but also per period. During some periods, you long for more rest during the week, while at other times, you only need to recover at the end of the month. Check for yourself what your needs are and what is needed to meet them. Always ask yourself these two questions: ‘Am I currently satisfied with my work-life balance? What do I need for the upcoming period?’
Tips for successfully completing your action plan
- Patience: Effective change takes time, patience and perseverance. Give yourself time and take note of the small steps in your progress. Don’t be too hard on yourself if things don’t work out perfectly the first time.
- Patterns: Look out for connections and patterns in your thoughts, feelings and behaviour. They can influence one another and can inform you on the most effective areas for change. Learn more about Cognitive Behavioural therapy here.
- Read more: If you’re looking for information on work related topics, check out our NiceDay work library or search for ‘work’ on niceday.app.
Need extra support?
Haven’t the steps above helped you sufficiently and are you looking for professional help or guidance from a psychologist? Learn more about receiving online help through the NiceDay app here.
Do you have questions about using the app while going through your action plan or are you unable to figure something out? Please read the Frequently Asked Questions or contact our NiceDay Support Team on working days via the app (tab ‘Support’) or by telephone on 010 – 3030 600. We are happy to help you!